This Pearl of the South seduces us with its a thousand and one wonders. It is authentic, trendy and beneficial, if you want a breath of fresh air.
Marrakech, The Imperial City
Marrakech the City of the "Jet Set"
Marrakech the City of Lights.
The city’s must-sees:
- The Ourika valley is a natural site which shelters 7 waterfalls. It is ideal for trekking and hiking.
- The Lala Takerkoust Dam, a natural island at the foot of the Atlas Mountains.
- La Menara historical monument, the city’s heritage, lies on acres of olive tree rows.
- The Bahia Palace, an architectural treasure organized around patios, fountains and Andalusian gardens.
- The Majorelle garden, an elegant green space, property of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé.
- The unique, the unmissable, the magical Jemaa el-Fnaa Square where merchants, craftsmen, restaurants, acrobats, musicians, and dancers rub shoulders
The cuisine of Marrakech is a real piece of art. It is a very important part of Moroccan culture. Refined and varied, Moroccan cuisine is known to be one of the richest in the Arab world. Simmered meat and vegetables are the daily food of the Marrakesh diet, accompanied by various spices and flavours (saffron, cinnamon, pepper, cumin, ginger, coriander, mint, and ras el hanout - a mixture of twenty-seven spices).
During holidays and religious events (marriages, births, circumcision, Aîd El Kebir), the meal becomes a true ceremony where many elaborate dishes follow one another: tagine, pastilla (meat pie), méchoui (sheep barbecue), etc. Another popular dish is: the Tanjia Marrakchia. It is both the name of a round pot and a delicious meal based on mutton and spices. All the ingredients are thrown together, shaken to mix, covered in paper and tied with a string, and then taken to the hammam where the "farnachi" will bury it in hot ashes and leave it there for at least 4 hours to stew. It is a dish made by men for men, favoured by singles for an evening out or a trip in the country where one will play cards while listening to music.
Product of the Earth: the Olive Oil
It is here in Morocco, in the Marrakech region, that men of good will work hard to make the famous olive oil a legend. It is an oil with golden reflections, whose virtues need not be proved anymore.